photo ew-header_zpsf3f7facf.png

1.25.2012

The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins


The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins is one more book I can tick off my list meaning I'm one step closer to my 25 book challenge! The Hunger Games is basically about a live television show - set in an unspecified time in the future - that is held each year where a boy and a girl from each of the twelve districts is randomly chosen to compete in a gladiator-style contest which is held in the central city called the Capitol. The winner of the games is the last child left alive. The book follows the point of view of Katniss Everdeen, the tribute representing district 12 after volunteering herself instead of her sister. She is skilled at hunting and her strongest weapon is her use of a bow and arrow. As much as she doesn't want to kill; she also doesn't want to be killed.

I became aware of this book after seeing the trailer for the upcoming movie which really made me want to get the book read before the movie release in March. A friend of mine also read the book and she had nothing but great things to say about it so I thought, taking these both into account, I'd give it a go. 

I will start by saying that I really did enjoy the book as a whole but I found it very very slow. Part one of the book was slow moving and I found that I just couldn't get into it - it took me forever to finish part one. I understand that the background and build-up to the games is needed but I think more drama or life could have been injected into the first part to make it a more gripping read. However, parts two and three of the book were really great and I found myself engrossed in the action and survival of the characters.

Part two went into much more detail and really showed how the characters were developing as the games went on and part three was the ending of the games and the final ceremony which rounded off the first book nicely and left a good follow-on into the next books. I found myself completely and utterly engaged in the story; especially nearing the penultimate end which left me thinking up possible outcomes leading to the surprise end to the games. 


One thing that did surprise me was that this book is aimed at young adults even though some of the scenes in the book are quite violently detailed like the scene where one of the tributes is violently attacked by human/wolf mutations - although the main characters are young adults themselves which is relatable. This type of action however, would be something I'd expect from a more mature and adult targeted book rather than one for young adults. I personally found this book an exciting read and the description was beyond what I'd expected. 

I would definitely recommend The Hunger Games to anyone who doesn't mind a slow starter or a bit of violence. Honestly, just give it a go, I was a bit dubious after reading the first few chapters and finding myself bored but after getting part part one I'm so glad I read this book and it might even be one of my all time favourite books - which doesn't really say much seeing as I've read maybe five books all together haha. 



One more thing, this book is part of a trilogy but I am really unsure as to if I am going to read the other two books. Although I found myself enjoying The Hunger Games towards the end, I don't know I can endure two more possibly slow starting books and also, I honestly cannot see where the author will take the story from here.

I'd love to hear your thoughts if you have read all three books, or even just your thoughts on the first book and if you agree or disagree with what I've said.

 photo homeeee_zps214aed0e.jpg

0 comments:

Post a Comment