photo ew-header_zpsf3f7facf.png

4.05.2012

DIY: AMERICAN FLAG SHORTS

At the start of the week I embarked on my first ever DIY mission; American Flag shorts. I've been seeing more and more pairs of flagged shorts each time I venture into a store and every time I steer away from them for various 'too short', 'too expensive' and 'bad fitting' reasons. One pair in particular that many of you have probably seen are these from Topshop which are priced at £34 which I begrudge paying for a pair of shorts no matter how good they are!
So, what did I do you ask? Well I decided to grab a pair of boring jewelled shorts from my wardrobe and flag-dazzle them (see what I did there haha) and here is what I needed up with...


Taadaaaaaa! I'm so happy with how these turned out and they were so so easy to do aswel! All you need to do this DIY is:

- A pair of shorts
- A flag (or something large with a flag print on it)
- Scissors
- Fabric glue or sewing materials if you have the patience
- A couple of sheets of paper
- A marker pen/felt tip/pencil etc

 All you do is make a stencil with the sheets of paper of the area of the shorts you want to cover. Then draw round this stencil onto the flag (or you can guess like I did). Cut out the flag preferably bigger than the stencil so you have room to work with. Fold over and glue/sew the edges of the flag and then leave that to dry (important!). 

Once the edges are dry, apply glue to the edges of the shape and then begin to stick it to the shorts. Do both sides and any others flagged areas you wish and then let the glue dry over night. As a final thing, I decided to turn up the bottom of my shorts as I felt it looked better, so if you want to do this you simply turn up the material to your desired length and then either glue or sew it in place. That's it, DIY American Flag shorts in only a few hours. 

Tip: If you want your shorts to look a little more distressed afterwards, take a piece of sand paper, wrap it around a wooden block or something of similar shape and then rub it on the areas of your shorts you ant distressed, ripped, worn etc. Do be aware, the sandpaper will create holes very quickly so if this isn't the look you want, only rub lightly. 

 photo homeeee_zps214aed0e.jpg

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. :) thanks! was surprising just how easy it was!

      Delete
    2. How do you make these?

      Delete
  2. what fabric glue did you use, I am looking for one that works but not too gloopy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just used one from Hobbycraft...I found it to be not too thick and good enough to glue to denim.

      Delete
  3. You like actually made them yourself. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, those are gorgeous!! I wish I were crafty like you. I bought some like that today at Walmart. But the price was low so I didn't feel as bad. But love your project!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. can you wash these?

    ReplyDelete