photo ew-header_zpsf3f7facf.png

4.26.2012

CATCHING FIRE - SUZANNE COLLINS


I finished the first Hunger Games book a while ago - read review here, then watched the movie (which was awesome by the way) and then thought it was about time I read the second book in the trilogy, Catching Fire. I thoroughly enjoyed the first book and had real high expectations for the second after hearing so many positive things about it; I was actually rather disappointed though. 

The first book was basically about Katniss Everdeen's journey volunteering and surviving The Hunger Games at the Capitol. It also followed her romance with Peeta, from District 12 like Katniss. After I finished this book I don't really know what I expected Catching Fire to be about but I just expected it to be as gripping as the first when in reality it fell short in that department and left me having to push myself to continue reading in parts. It started off as a very uninteresting read and only thoroughly engaged me towards the end during the Games themselves. From the beginning where I was reading one chapter at a time, to the final part where I couldn't put it down, it's definitely a mixed read for me.

One thing about the book I did like was the introduction of the previous victors and how we actually got to know some of them on a far more personal level than we did with the tributes in the first book. I particularly liked Finnick as he was a very witty and likeable character throughout the latter half of the book, I found myself being more involved with reading about him than some of the more prominent characters.

Overal I did enjoy this book, and on reflection, I think I enjoyed the Games portion more than  I did in the first book. It was a lot less dragged out (mainly because it started late into the story), and it left me on the edge of my seat at the turn of every page. I just wish the rest of the book had been as gripping. I would recommend The Hunger Games series so far and I am truly looking forward to reading the final book of the trilogy after being left at such a cliff-hanger at the end of Catching Fire.

**I have since discovered that I have left the final book, Mockingjay, at home so I won't be reading that for a while :( ** 

 photo homeeee_zps214aed0e.jpg

1 comments:

  1. I've read this and totally agree! It's all a little slow and ambiguous until you reach the games section. I got totally hooked at that point too. I've just started mocking jay and I think its going to be a page turner!! xx

    ReplyDelete