photo ew-header_zpsf3f7facf.png

4.07.2012

ABC'S SCANDAL

I have just finished watching the new ABC drama Scandal and I was a bit reluctant to write about it because it has caused quite a bit of upset due to it's time-slot and circumstance. Basically, Shonda Rhimes had two shows; Grey's Anatomy and Private Practice, which both centre around doctors (Private Practice being the spin-off to Grey's). She now has another show - Scandal - which has replaced Private Practice in the 10pm Thursday time-slot right after Grey's Anatomy. 

Now for all those avid Private Practice fans like myself, this is the worst possible situation; our favourite show is battling with dropping ratings and now a new (and less than great) time-slot. Now you see my reluctancy to write about Scandal? Many are boycotting it in the hopes this will make a stand for Private Practice and initially this is what I had planned on doing, but then I thought, that won't make the slightest bit of difference and so this evening I watched the pilot to Scandal. 


Scandal is basically about a non-law firm who deal with crisis management for I suppose you could say, 'scandalous' situations. The show centres around Olivia Pope (Kerry Washington) who is a former White House operative turned crisis manager working with a team of 'gladiators in suits' as they put it to fix wealthy peoples situations. The thing that confused me though is, at the start of the episode Olivia is perceived as this almighty force of nature not to be questioned, but then in the second half of the episode she turns into a weeping, defenceless woman crying over her **SPOILER** affair with the married president. 

Also, this show very much revolves around Olivia's gut. Whatever her gut says, goes as far as she is concerned and the other characters simply act without any real personality in the background to her ever increasing gut instincts. Okay so I'm going to stop dissing Olivia now and go onto last nights episode more. The main guest star was Wes Brown (also a guest star on Private Practice; Shonda Rhimes never lets us down with her continued re-use of guest stars; also including Jeff Perry!), who was a military soldier accused of killing his wife. Now we do find out if he did it or not but we never actually see the ending result of the case. It's although once their work is done that's it, they just pass it onto the authorities to deal with. We all want to know what happens! 

These are my initial thoughts and are solely my own opinion, I have only watched one episode and I would like to continue watching to see if the show gets better. I just found that I didn't like Olivia as a character and with her being the main star, I then found it difficult to enjoy the show. It might get better, it might not, I'm just finding it hard to understand the real purpose of the show...Remember, those are only my opinions so all you Scandal fans out there...don't hate me! haha

 photo homeeee_zps214aed0e.jpg

1 comments:

  1. exactly my opinion! didn't like Olivia either, but Abby, the red-haired women seems interesting, maybe she can catch me.. still sad because of the change for PP though..

    ReplyDelete