photo ew-header_zpsf3f7facf.png

12.22.2011

Once Upon A Time...

No, I'm not going to impress you with my fairy tale writing skills as today's post. Instead I'm going to let the new ABC fantasy drama do the storytelling for me...


This show brings fairy tales to life and makes happy endings seem impossible. It begins with the traditional scene where Prince Charming wakes Snow White with a kiss and then goes on to show the Evil Queen (Lana Parrilla) arriving at the wedding of Snow White (Ginnifer Goodwin) and Prince Charming (Joshua Dallas) to give a threat of an evil curse she is going to bestow upon them and the whole land. Snow White then visits Rumplestiltskin (Robert Carlyle) who tells her of the fate of the curse and how it will take them to a place where happy endings don't exist. He says that only their unborn daughter Emma Swan can rescue them when she reaches the age of 28. We are then taken years into the future to discover that 'Emma' is in fact now 28 and wring as a bail bonds person. 

This show really is a modern-day fairy tale full of twists everywhere. I love how although the stories have been kept the same as those everyone knows and loves, the writers have tried to incorporate slight changes and modern day issues. The flash backs between the fantasy land and that of Storybrooke - a town in New England - are so closely related that the line between reality and make-believe really is blurred.

 So far my two favourite characters are Rumplestiltskin and the Evil Queen because both these characters are so dynamic and the actors play them brilliantly both as their fairy tale characters and their real-life alias. I'm not really certain on the Snow White character yet as she seems a bit 'false' and maybe this is the intended idea but I just think she's trying too hard...

Now before you think this just sounds like a children's show, it is far from it. A large portion of each episode is actually set in real-life New England with only minor flashbacks to the fantasy land. This is what makes it so appealing in my eyes and this is why I'd recommend you watching it for yourself and then make up your mind. I already love this show and can honestly say it is far from what I expected. I think even if you aren't a fairytale fan, or if you don't know the stories you will still enjoy watching. I didn't have a clue who Rumplestiltskin was until I watched this; I thought he was the guy under the bridge...which from watching this I later found out are actually trolls! haha

Let me know if you are going to watch this show, or if you already do!



Once upon a time...

 photo homeeee_zps214aed0e.jpg

2 comments:

  1. I've really been meaning to start this show but I have a feeling I'll get super addicted... so I'm going to wait till the season is over so I can watch it all at once! Thanks for the post tho.. definitely got me more excited to start!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tiffany - It is an awesome show! But yes, I got addicted straight away and now it's on a break I'm sad haha

    ReplyDelete