photo ew-header_zpsf3f7facf.png

8.19.2012

MY TOP TEN FAVOURITE SONGS

This is an extremely random post but I was just thinking to myself, I'm really not a music kind of person, I'd much rather watch a movie or a TV show than listen to music. There are though, some songs that I could just listen to over and over again and so I thought I'd do a roundup of my all time top ten songs. Surprisingly this was in fact so difficult to choose just ten and then even more difficult to put them in order! I think that this is near enough the right order so here goes...

10. Speechless – Lady Gaga
This song is just so lovely; but this performance is what really did it for me. Lady Gaga is such an expressive performer, especially so in this song; not only through her appearance but through the emotion that seems to have gone into the whole performance. I love that she just sits and plays the piano, it really lets you listen to the lyrics without any of the distracting things that go into a music video. I'll admit, I'm not a huge fan of Lady Gaga's songs, only really her newer stuff, but this is a song I do love. 
9. Tonight – Sugarland
I could listen to Sugarland all day, in fact, I have done this once at work! I just knew I had to include one of their songs in this post and of all of them, I came up with 'Tonight' because the whole beat and mood of the song is really uplifting. The vocals in this song are so strong and it has a real anthem feel to it; this is definitely a song I like to play on full volume.
8. Bad Things – Jace Everett
This song is my ring tone and has been since my last year at school. It's not really a complex, meaningful song or anything but it is just so unreliably catchy! As most people, I originally discovered this song from the True Blood opening titles, and it is just the perfect song for that show, what with the southern accent going on and the lyrics. This isn't a song I'd necessarily sit down and listen to, but its definitely one of my favourites to hear every now and again. 
7. AmenJena – Nicole Scherzinger
This is a beautiful song with beautiful lyrics. When I think of Nicole Scherzinger, upbeat and almost dance numbers come to mind but this is the total opposite to that. The vocals in this song are just amazing, Nicole really can sing; this song actually changed my opinion of her and made me into a fan!
6. The River – Breed 77
This song is definitely not the type of thing I would usually listen to. The band mainly sticks to the metal/alternative genre but this song starts out very soft giving the lyrics a lot more meaning. This song just grabbed me right from the start though with the flamenco-esque Spanish sounds, it's a weird one really, its such a diverse song and quite different to the bands other songs which definitely lean more to the metal side of things which I'm not such a fan of. 
5. The Living Proof – Mary J. Blige
Beautiful. That is the only way to really describe this song. Mary J. Blige sang this song as a soundtrack to the movie The Help, but I discovered it in an episode of Private Practice, it made the episode twice as emotional. This is a song that you need to just sit down and really listen to; its basically about overcoming obstacles in your life, or at least that's how I've interpreted it. The vocals in this song are so pure, this is a song I could just listen to on repeat, it's the type of song that makes great background music too. 
4. The Show Must Go On – Queen
I don't really think I need to write much for this song. I mean, Queen are amazing in their own right and need no justification whatsoever. Although I enjoy most of their songs, this one has to be my favourite because I think the lyrics are so powerful and when it gets going, it's such a punchy song. I wish I had been around when Freddie Mercury was alive, I think seeing Queen live would have been quite an experience. 
3. It’s All Coming Back To Me Now – Celine Dion
I have been a Celine Dion for years now, I just think her voice is one of the most spectacular of this time. She can honestly sing anything and sound great. This song came very close to my number one position but didn't quite make it because as of late, I haven't been listening to it that much; that is going to quickly change. The vocals in this song send a chill through me and this was the song by Celine that made me into a definite fan. I would have loved to have seen her in concert, if I go to Vegas in the not so distant future I'll definitely be seeing her (not going to happen but I can hope haha).
2. Somebody’s Chelsea – Reba McEntire
I had a huge debate with myself whether to choose this as my number one or the Cher song below. I went with Cher but I want to stress that Reba McEntire's 'Somebody's Chelsea' really is one of my all time favourite songs ever and she is my favourite artist as a whole. This song is from her most recent album and although I love pretty much all of her songs, I chose this one because I like the story of the song. I like this song as a song, but I think some songs just become something so different with a video and this is one of those. Reba's videos all tell the stories of her songs so well, none of her songs are just melody's, they each have a meaning and a story behind them which is what makes her such a good artist. 
1. Dark Lady - Cher
1. You Haven't Seen The Last Of Me' - Cher
According to my iTunes, Cher is my most played artist and 'You Haven't Seen The Last Of Me' is the most played song, with 'Dark Lady' being third. I absolutely love pretty much all of her songs, but these two are definitely my favourites (I honestly could not choose between them!). For 'Dark Lady', I love how it tells a story, and isn't just your standard, repetitive, verse, chorus, verse type of song. Until this post, I hadn't ever watched a performance of this song, but having now watched this video, I wish I was around in the 1970s to have seen it in person! As for 'You Haven't Seen The Last Of Me', this song is from the movie Burlesque and is the best part of the whole thing for me. She just sits there and sings, I think it's the combination of her voice, the lyrics and her performance that make this my favourite. I did a full review of Burlesque here.
***
So, that's it! My all time favourite ten (eleven) songs in my 19 years of living. Now that I've written this post, I'm sat here thinking that I could have included so many more songs, but I do think I've chosen a pretty great set of songs here, my music taste is definitely diverse I'd say. I hope you enjoyed reading and listening, let me know if any of these songs are your favourites!

 photo homeeee_zps214aed0e.jpg

2 comments:

  1. Great post !

    3 words LOVE YOUR STYLE :)

    Didn't know all the artists so it is cool to hear something new :)


    I'm an instant follower of you now :)

    Please feel free to check out my blog if you have the time

    Love,

    Janice
    the-fashion-milkshake.blogspot.nl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) ahh yeh, it's great reading about something new :)

      Delete