photo ew-header_zpsf3f7facf.png

5.11.2012

THE SINNER - TESS GERRITSEN

I've been a bit slow on the reading front lately what with having a million essays to complete! Now that my first year is completely finished I should be able to make up some reading during the summer.

Anyway, I finished Tess Gerritsen's The Sinner at the weekend and to sum it up in a few words: an absolutely amazing book! I think this has to be my favourite book I've read so far, it was brilliant and had me completely gripped, so much so, that I read it in three days which for me is pretty quick!


This book confirmed that Tess Gerritsen is my favourite author. The way she writes is just so gripping and you literally find yourself involved in the book. At one point I was so involved that when my phone beeped I nearly fell off my bead haha. 

This book is the third in the Rizzoli and Isles series (the first two are also great). It tells the story of a murder and an attempted murder of two nuns who live behind the walls of a convent. Dr Maura Isles is put on the case and during the autopsy of nun she discovers a shocking secret. Side by side to this is the murder of another woman whose killer has gone to the trouble of removing her face, hands and feet. Working alongside Detective Jane Rizzoli, they lead an investigation into the deaths of both women making a shocking discovery about the killer. 

Thats basically the story in a nut shell, what I liked is that the book didn't just focus on one murder, and instead focused on two (three sometimes) which added weight to the book whilst still keeping each case relevant to one another. Also what made me like this book more than the first two was that we got a real insight into who Jane and Maura are as characters - more so Maura as this book mainly focuses on her - which was lacking in the first two. Maura has her personal life to balance with her work in the form of her ex-husband Victor who turns up unannounced and tries to get back in her life. It is them revealed he has more business in Boston than just seeing Maura. 
Jane's life is further explored more in the latter half of the book when Agent Gabriel Dean turns up and she is faced with confronting her feelings for him and her new 'situation'. 

I can't express enough how much I enjoyed this book. Tess has a certain way of writing that just keeps to completely gripped without it being predictable at all like a lot of crime thrillers can be. A word of warning for people that get scared easily like myself, do not read this book at night in a quiet room...I jumped out of my skin several times haha. 

As I have said, I would highly recommend this book, even if crime/thriller isn't your thing. I didn't think I'd enjoy reading these types of books  but since have found I enjoy them more than any books in have ever read. 

 photo homeeee_zps214aed0e.jpg

0 comments:

Post a Comment