photo ew-header_zpsf3f7facf.png

2.15.2012

Switched at Birth


I get I'm a lot behind on this one but, I started watching Switched at Birth the other day after seeing it advertised and already I have found myself hooked. It is basically about two teenage girls who find out that they were switched at birth. One of the girls, Bay Kennish (Vanessa Marano), grew up in a wealthy family with two parents and a brother and the other girl, Daphne Vasquez (Katie Leclerc) grew up in a bad neighbourhood with just her mother - her father left after she lost her hearing due to meningitis when she was two. The Kennish's - John (D.W Moffett) and Kathryn (Lea Thompson) - invite Daphne and her mother Regina (Constance Marie) to live in their guest house in the hopes that both families can get to know each other better. 

After reading up on this show I honestly didn't know what it was going to be like. It seemed like such a predictable storyline with a very 'unknown' cast so I wasn't sure whether to watch it or not. After watching ten episodes I can now say that I was wrong to judge it by what I read and I actually think it's a great, low-cost show. The acting is good, not the best but still good and the stories within the main storyline really are quite deep at times - and then other times quite predictable again. 

The show focuses a lot on Daphne and her being deaf. The Kennish's must learn how to communicate with her in a way that is easy for both them and her and they are also introduced to other people in her life such as her best friend Emmett (Sean Berdy) and his mother Melody (Marlee Matlin) who are also both deaf. When I saw that Marlee Matlin was in the show I was so happy because I think she is a really great actress - especially in The L Word - and I don't think they could have chosen anyone better to play Emmett's mother. Also, having not seen many of the other actors in the show before I was unsure what they would be like but I have to say that they aren't all that bad; Constance Marie and Lea Thompson have to be my favourites though because I think they are both really great in the show; their characters are so likable and their interactions with each other are priceless at times. 

Those of you who have continued to read this long are now probably wondering; what happens now the families know and where is Daphne's father? Well, I'm not going to tell you what happens next because I think it's only fair that you find out for yourself but I will however tell you who will play the allusive missing father - Gilles Marini (yes the guy in the beach house next to Samantha in Sex and the City!!)

Other cast in the show are; Lucas Grabeel (I know you all immediately thought of High School Musical then haha) as Bay's brother Toby, Austin Butler as Toby's best friend Wilke and Blair Redford as Ty.

That's it, I really would recommend this show to anyone, it is quite predictable and the acting isn't the best but I really like it and I think it is worth the time. Also I just found out now that it got picked up for 22 more episodes in January - but not as a 'season two' but as an extended season one....

trailer:

 photo homeeee_zps214aed0e.jpg

0 comments:

Post a Comment