photo ew-header_zpsf3f7facf.png

10.21.2011

The disaster that was my train journey home...

Hi! This is going to be a bit of a ranting blog just to warn you in advance. So today I was travelling home for the weekend, which I have been excited for, for the whole week because I really am missing home. The last time I came home the journey was – minus a few hiccups – a breeze to say the least, but oh no, this time my life had to be made difficult!

My university seminar finished at quarter-to-three which you’d think would leave me plenty of time to catch a bus and a metro to then catch my train at five. Today that was not the case. The bus – which is supposed to run every 15 minutes – didn’t arrive for 45 minutes and then decided to take us the LONG way back to my accommodation. Then I picked up my stuff and literally ran out of the door and to the metro station. The metro then arrived 30 minutes(!) later and I had half an hour to get to the train station. That was until I realised that the metro took over half an hour and I ended up missing my train by a minute…yes you read that right, ONE MINUTE!

Luckily there was another train arriving shortly after which I waited for and then got on. My problems didn’t end there though. That train decided to stop for 10 minutes in the middle of nowhere and have a rest or whatever it was doing and that obviously lead to us then being behind schedule.  We finally arrived at my first change in York and the board said I needed to go to platform four – the train had already arrived. I ran through the station suitcase and all and saw no signs for platform four anywhere.  Now this wasn’t just me, there actually weren’t ANY signs! I mean seriously, what type of train station doesn’t signpost their platforms! Anyway I did find the platform after asking countless people who the majority seemed as clueless as I was…

I am now writing this from the train (which I’m hoping is the right one), and just some added wonderful news for me, the guy has just come over the speaker and said that there are electrical problems on the line and we are being diverted.  This apparently will delay us a ‘little’ – his words – and I’m hoping that his words will be right! Fortunately, I would have arrived at Manchester station with 30 minutes to spare so I can afford to loose a ‘little’ time, but that isn’t the point, the point is that this journey has just been a complete and total disaster from the start. I personally blame the university bus. If they had actually been on time, I would have made the train I originally set out to. 

Ha-ha the guy selling beverages and food has just walked past, stopped and commented on how fast I was typing… he was very impressed. I have now however turned into the worlds slowest typer because he is stood there watching me…I feel so pressured….I just made so many typos in that last sentence! Ahhhh I blame the snack guy! It’s All his fault….

Anyway, the train is – fingers crossed – going to be arriving in Manchester soon where I shall begin the final leg of my journey home, which with any luck will be a breeze…

(added note: the train arrived late in Manchester - at a platform in the middle of no where - the man told us to go to platform eight but it was actually platform three so I ran through the station to the complete opposite side and the train I wanted to get on was nearly ready to pull away...thankfully the man on the train opened the door for me and I got on...)

xoxo

 photo homeeee_zps214aed0e.jpg

0 comments:

Post a Comment